Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Summary for Chapter Four

Hacker explains how it's possible to build effective paragraphs when writing. It's necessary to focus on a main point so that your paragraphs can be unified. The main point can then be developed. After development is determined and completed, you should decide how you'll be organizing your information and writing. Next, work to make your paragraphs coherent. The last thing you want to focus on is the length of your paragraphs.

The main point is usually summarized in a topic sentence. It helps your paragraph maintain unity and is usually found in the first paragraph. It can either be introduced at the beginning or at the end of the paragraph. Developing your key point is vital. Brief paragraphs tend to indicate insufficient development, but you want to keep in mind that there isn't a fixed amount of appropriate development. It's completely based on your audience and purpose. There's many ways in which you can choose to organize your paragraphs. Some patterns occur more frequently because they reflect how we think. Some examples of development patterns are illustrations, narrations, comparisons, analogies, definitions, etc. Once you've organized your paragraphs, you want to make sure that the paragraphs are coherent. The sentences need to flow together nicely. To achieve this, Hacker suggests the linking of ideas, repetition of key words, parallel structures, consistency, and effective transitions. The length of your paragraphs is also important because it influences both the attention span and interest of your reader. The length depends on what type of writing you're doing, but overall, make sure that your paragraphs are neither too short nor too long.

I am going to try to incorporate Hacker's advice on the effectiveness of paragraphs into my writing. I never really thought too much about a topic sentence because I was too focused on developing a thesis. Topic sentences support the thesis and therefore help the strength of the essay. If I can write out a good topic sentence, I can improve my writing. I'm going to try to work on making my essays more interesting by using examples and illustrations. By doing this I can liven my writing and capture my audience. It would also keep me interested in what i'm writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment