Thursday, January 20, 2011

Week One

My name is Sarahi, plenty of people have trouble pronouncing my name, but I don't blame them. I, in fact, am unsure of the correct pronunciation and so I prefer to simply be refereed to as Sarah. I am 18 years of age and i'm originally from Southern California. I grew up in a very small mountain town north of Los Angeles. Here I completed grade school and I graduated from high school this past summer. Now i'm attending SRJC and working towards an associates degree. I'm undeclared, which means that i'm not quite sure what kind of degree i'm be working towards, but I do know that I will receive one! For now i'm just trying to get some general education out of the way.

I've recently grown to really enjoy my English classes. My sophomore, junior, and senior year of high school I was fortunate enough to have an excellent teacher. He explained literature in a way that made sense and it really opened up my eyes to new ideas and concepts. I found myself enjoying writing essays and pondering on the words that were found in books, poems, etc. I hope to have a very similar experience in this class. More than anything, i'm hoping to progress in my writing and to overall do good.

I can't say that i'm any type of specific learner. I don't like to categorize myself, but I have noticed that I do surprisingly well when I take my time. I am very capable of cranking out an essay within a matter of hours, but it wouldn't be my best work. When I take the time to think and organize my thoughts, I can produce decent school work. It also helps a great deal if i'm genuinely interested in what i'm reading or writing.

7 comments:

  1. What are your interests?
    I'm asking because I dont know what degree I want or even if Im going to transfer but I do know I want to do something with digital art.
    Good to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have plenty of interests. For example, I enjoy being outdoors and partaking in activities such as cycling and running. I also enjoy music a great deal and although I don't produce it, I feel that it's still a vital part of my life. I was interested in becoming a chef at one point, I would have to say that cooking is the only thing that I truly ever considered turning into a career. Originally my plan was to go to a culinary school, but that didn't turn out as planned due to issues that were out of my control. That left me with a lot of indecisiveness as far as school and my future. That is why I chose to attend SRJC. I didn't want to get a full time job and leave schooling on the back burner because I knew that if I did that, I would probably never go back to school. More likely than not, i'd be stuck at a job that I could tolerate for a few years and progressively it'd become less bearable. I hope that answers your question although I know that mostly i'm just narrating my confusion more in depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarahi,

    Your name is great. When you have time, you should look into the pronunciation of it. Maybe you can find the story of how you came to be named Sarahi?

    What brought you to Santa Rosa?

    You have a lot of time to decide on a major. Completing the general education requirements will give you a chance to explore the different disciplines. I'm sure something will interest you.

    I'm looking forward to working with you.

    Take care,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren,

    I was named after the biblical character, Abraham's wife. So it's of Hebrew origin. I have looked up the pronunciation and it's something along the lines of Su-Rye. In high school they would call me Sara-e, but I was well aware that they were butchering my name. Then again, I wasn't completely sure of the pronunciation, so I never corrected them. All of my family calls me Sara, so I just find it easier to go by that name. I've considered legally changing my name, but I don't think I will.

    I also look forward to working with you, I hope this turns out to be a great semester! I really enjoy reading and writing, so I think that guarantees an enriching experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarahi,

    Well I will have no problem pronouncing your name as I won't say it but type it. It is really cool that you moved up here to take school. That is something I wish to do soon, move out to attend school. I am hoping to move down south San Diego for school. As for finding your major trying taking classes in different fields. This is what I did last year and it has helped me narrow now my path just to two.

    Best of luck,
    Haruki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haruki,

    San Diego is beautiful. I'm sure you'd like it there if you were to move down there. Southern California is very dear to my heart. I love Northern California too, but you always feel a special connection to where you're from. I didn't grow up in San Diego, but I went there a few times when I was a kid and I had a lot of good experiences there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarahi,

    I cannot wait to go to school down in Los Angles! What brought you from Los Angles to Santa Rosa? That is quite the move to go to school, but Santa Rosa is a great school!! But like you I am still undecided with what I want to major in but in time we will figure out with interests us the most. I am looking forward to seeing how this semester goes for the both of us!

    Jarrod

    ReplyDelete