Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Freewriting Exercises

Freewriting is a very loose and unorganized way of writing. Basically you write for a certain period of time and you don't stop while in the process. The point of the exercise is to write continuously even if that means repeating yourself or writing down random thoughts that are running through your head. You're not supposed to go back and correct anything, it's perfectly okay to misspell words. You simply can not stop writing.

This exercise does have a purpose and it's actually very interesting. Freewriting helps you because it eliminates the usual process that we take when writing. We tend to think, edit, and write all at the same time. This can be good, but most often then not, it prevents us from pouring all of our ideas onto paper. We're so busy trying to edit what we're thinking, that sometimes we forget to jot down some really good points and ideas. By freewriting regularly, we're able to produce work without editing at the same time. It permits for a smoother flow of words.

I found the article to be of great interest. It made a lot of sense. I personally find myself editing quite a bit when i'm writing essays or doing any other assignment that involves typing or writing. Not always, but there are times when i'm stuck on a certain sentence for a long time because i'm trying to make it sound just right. While this is going on, a lot of my other ideas or thoughts are getting put on the back burner. Unfortunately, this means that I end up abandoning  solid points that I could have made. Freewriting in theory seems like an excellent way to improve your writing. You may produce a lot of "garbage" in the process, but you'll probably be able to get down great material that you wouldn't have otherwise.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    You did a great job explaining what a freewriting assignment is. To me it is also an excercise where you continually write and not stop. For me it's a bit of forcing myself to just keep writing and not stopping. I am in a habbit of correcting my errors. I think I am going to like these excercises because it will make my writing skills stronger.
    I also believe the article made a lot of sense. I find myself editing quite a bit as well. I really look forward to more of these excercises so my writing skills will improve. Good luck!
    Dina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also get stuck on certain sentences just trying to get it to sound right. The introduction of papers is where I always get stuck. I have always struggled with introductions, ever since I first started writing essays. I have a tendency to edit my essays as I write them. When I go to write the final product, it can be kind of difficult to decipher all of the corrections and editing that I did as I wrote the rough draft. I hope that doing the freewrites will teach my mind not to make corrections and edit things as I write. I also think that freewriting seems to be an excellent way to improve our writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarahi,

    Your post has me thinking about the way Elbow's theory is attempting to change our habits. The reason freewriting is tough for a lot of students is because it forces them to completely change the way they write. If you think about it, this theory make a lot of sense in terms of the way it re-trains writers. The simple act of freewriting forces the writer to focus on ideas and to save revision and editing for after ideas have been generated and the rough draft has been produced, which is much more effective.

    Freewriting is training us to create new writing habits that will produce better results; rather than keeping our same habits that may or may not work.

    Thanks for these ideas.

    Take care,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dina, Michelle, and Lauren,

    Freewriting is certainly a different take on writing. In a very good way though. Most of us are used to writing while editing at the same time and it does work out well sometimes, but sometimes it doesn't. Trying out a new method can always help us out because our approach changes and therefore the outcome is different. Let us hope that it's different in a positive way!

    Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete